Sunday, September 12, 2004

Time

Rising in the sun, a giant dragon fly cruises the fir tree. Overhead, the clouds are piled in fluffy confusion, billowing white across the blue sky, being blown slowly by the wind. The sun comes and goes, playing hide and seek amongst the clouds, warming me as I walk home from the bus stop, considering life in general. Around me time is passing by, minutes into hours then days. I can remember, as I'm sure we all can, thinking as a child that time just seemed to drag by. Days went on for what seemed like years. Years seemed like decades. Now, as I get older and each year becomes a small fraction of the ever-growing whole, time spins by faster and faster, like a freight train gaining speed. Each day I wake up, another day having gone by. And I hardly take any time to reflect- on time. Each minute, babies are being brought into the world, pink, wideeyed and full of life. Each minute, people are being taken away, cold, stiff and dead. Taken possibly too soon, or too late to matter. To someone, each minute is monumental and each minute means nothing at all. To someone a minute means life or death. To someone a minute is inconsequential.

Maybe we could all do some good if we treasured time a little more. The moment I saw the dragon fly today, I recognized that moment as special. A scene that nobody else witnessed. My own personal moment. And as time flies by, carrying me away from that instant, I look back and wonder. What is in front of time? What is behind time? And where does it go?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home