Saturday, August 28, 2004

Summer, A Review

Today I was talking to a friend, and she asked me "So how was your summer this year?" I thought for a moment, and then replied "Not too good." After I got off the phone, I couldn't help but think about our conversation over and over. How did I let the summer slip by me unused? What would I have rather done with my time? And why did I waste so much of it?

I remember once watching a tv show (Ally McBeal, I think...) and there was a line that went something like "At the end of the year you should be able to look back and laugh, and cry." If I look back on my summer, the only emotion that comes to mind is crying. I didn't work. I didn't travel. I didn't see that much of my friends. I didn't accomplish the few things I set out to do.

So, this gets me to thinking, was my summer a failure? YES. Unless.... Unless I take the fact that I failed miserable at living this summer, and never let myself do that again. I know inside that there are things and people that make me inexorably happy, so from now on, I need to seek out these people, situations and experiences. I let myself be unhappy. It is easier to settle and fail, then to take a risk and succeed.

I always hit these moments of extreme sadness, where I vow to change my life, change to world, and be happy trying. I don't think I want this moment to be another one of those. I am acknowledging that unhappiness is a part of life. But I am also acknowledging that I can no longer be complacent, that I need to seek out happiness instead of letting it come to me.

So how was your summer? Worth it?

1 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger larrykim said...

if you seek happiness, you will never find it. if you seek unhappiness, you will always find it.

do you think it's possible to be happy without having to accomplish something? just because you are you and nothing else? i don't know. just a thought...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home