Friday, September 10, 2004

Life...

As human beings, why do we feel the need to challenge ourselves? While some people can be happy with not being challenged, I think the vast majority of people seek some sort of challenge in life. The degree to which we do so varies, but the goal does not. Wouldn't life be much easier if we could just complacently go through the motions of living, breathing, eating, sleeping and functioning?

Now I am sure, there are all kinds of studies out there telling us why we do such things. But on a personal level, I wonder why I feel the need to achieve the levels I set out for myself. I always create lofty goals, perhaps far loftier than others around me... I have friends that always look at what I'm doing, and suggest in hushed tones that I may be crazy. These people just don't understand, that in order to be satisfied, I have to be accomplishing things that a relatively small number of people have done before. I feel the need to be different, to chart uncharted territory. I feel the need to be under stress, to accomplish the unaccomplishable. Every hurdle I climb over, no matter how slow and arduous the process, adds to my character. I firmly believe, whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger. Every experience, bad or good, is part of life. Life is what it is, nothing more and nothing less. If we wish away the bad experiences, than life has been invalidated.

1 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger larrykim said...

true... so true... where is my bud light?

okay, accomplishments are good, but do you wonder what it means to accomplish? say for instance, if you set out a goal to climb mt. everest, some people will get a great deal of pleasure out of that (i guess). me on the other hand, will more likely to say... are you crazy? what's the point? so you tortured yourself to get to the top of the mountain... so what?

in all things... in the end, when you have finally accomplished your goals... will you be any different? will your final destination change or somehow become meaningful? the greatest fear and disappoint may be when you have finally accomplished your goals... and you wonder... what is the point of achieving my next goal for my last goal has only brought me joy for such a short time. is my next goal worth the trouble... i say if it brings you joy to strive for your goal, then that is what happiness is... but if your happiness comes from achieving that goal, than i say... it's not worth it at all.

i personally think there are only few things that are worth the trouble of achieving... but then, to each is own... and that may be the best part of being a human...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home