Monday, December 27, 2004

All that you can't leave behind...

Oh boy, has my mind been busy lately. I have been reading a lot of philosophical what is the meaning of it all type books. I have also been keeping my ear to the ground and trying to decipher things within the greater context of life and the world. I know this probably won't make sense to anyone but, it has got me concerned.

Why is our society intrinsically flawed? After much thought I have come to the conclusion that society doesn't work, it will never work, and it has never been working. For any of you who have read Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael" you will know what I am talking about. Our society is a craft, and currently we are in free fall. Right now we are so far up that we don't notice the ground rushing upon us. We are reaching that point however, when we start to look around and realize that instead of gloriously flying, we are plummetting to our deaths.

How do we fix this craft? I do not know. I wish I did.... And I am not sure that any amount of begging or explaining will change our doomed society. Maybe not doomed tomorrow or in the next 100 or 200 years, but eventually. How dare we live a life that we know will destroy the planet for generations down the road-not just of humans, but of all the species of animals that we are wiping out with our actions? How dare we live a life that is unhealthy for ourselves, our fellow humans and our planet?

If our society is not flawed, then how come so many people are unhappy? How come people are forced to slave away at McDonald's for minimum wage while their children raise themselves at home in an apartment? Why do we grow enough food for more than the world's population yet half of us are starving-and the other half is unhealthily overweight? And why is it that the majority of people do not see this flaw, and if they do they do not seem to care?

You've got to leave it behind All that you fashion All that you make All that you build All that you break All that you measure All that you steal All this you can leave behind- U2, Walk On

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home