Thursday, May 19, 2005

Ready to leave

In approximately 2 weeks, I will be leaving for a two month backpacking trip through Central America. As a result of my poor saving habits... my wallet seems to be some sort of black hole for money... I haven't nearly enough money for my trip. I am also graduating from university next year and my time should, more logically, be spent working and saving up money. BUT I am ecstatic that I am leaving. Money problems, poor organization aside, I can't wait. I haven't been away in over a year now. I am ready to roam.

In the past weeks, I have been rushing around trying to get all my stuff in order. Malaria pills, vaccinations, mosquito netting, toiletries, supplies, etc. I am planning to go all out-budget traveller style. $3-a-night hostels, chicken buses, and good ole walking. I can't wait! I have been using some guidebooks to get a rough idea of where to go, what to see, and have found some pretty neat places-including Copan, Isla de Omepte, the Caribbean coast of Honduras, Los Chiles, Masaya, Rocking J's, etc. But I am anticipating changing my plans while I'm there...

For me there is something SO appealing about disappearing off the map. As Paul Theroux writes in his novel, Dark Star Safari, about being unreachable by phone, email or fax, and in the answer to inquiring parties as to his whereabouts, estimated return home, etc: "Don't know!"

These past few weeks I have been trying to squeeze in seeing all the people that I haven't seen in a while, and while I do love my friends, frankly I am fed up with it and ready to get out of here. I am ready to start doing new things, seeing life from the new perspective that always comes hand in hand with budget travel.

I know that I was not meant to be sedentary. For whatever reason, I was born with an eternal wanderlust. Why? Don't know? Sometimes I think it would be easier to not have it... but oh well, that's who I am!

1 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger larrykim said...

i know exactly how you feel... i am so ready to just leave... every few years, i have this desire to just leave everything behind... my brother says that i am a bird, meant to fly, and that is why i can never stay in one place too long without feeling trapped...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home