Thursday, August 12, 2004

Return to the Working World. Begrudgingly.

Tomorrow is the day...

Currently I am unemployed. I have been for quite some time actually. Recently, I finished my summer course at university, and when I returned home after the exam, I jubilantly exclaimed "Yay! I am now officially on vacation!" My brother was quick to point out, however, that I have been on vacation since October of last year. Good point.

So tomorrow, I am hitting the mall, resumes in hand. I have never done that before. In the past, I have always been given jobs through acquaintances or connections. I feel so odd, randomly walking up to stores and cheerily trying to sell (whore) myself back into the retail world... Can you tell it's the last thing I want to do? I have been putting it off for days. Today was too hot, the day before I didn't want to lug my rugby bag around the mall, the day before I decided was more suited to the beach. I want finding a job to be easy, but as time wears on, the happy fantasy of a good job falling into my lap is slipping further and further through my grasp.

OH GOD I don't want to go back into retail. I hate serving customers. I hate being falsely cheery, pretending that I am enjoying mindlessly punching numbers into a cash register, pretending to care when customers come up and make paltry complaints. I DON'T CARE! I am not a naturally bubbly or talkative person, so spending 8 hours making small talk with countless people who don't care about me is mind numbing. Nothing is more depressing than a long day of retail sales. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the retail profession. Some people are awesome at what they do, and genuinely have a knack for it... I on the other hand do not have that knack... For a young female in university however, it seems the only job that is easy to get that will work around my school schedule is a retail job. And, the only experience I have is retail. I can't get other jobs without experience, so the vicious cycle turns, and I am stuck between a rock and a retail store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home