Friday, August 06, 2004

Hair Saga

The hair saga....

My life has been one constant struggle to figure out what to do with my head of very curly (think Shirley Temple, Peggy Sue-esque) red hair. Most hairdressers see my hair and balk. Usually, unfortunately, they balk silently and internally. So I sit in their chair, happy that I am in the hands of a professional. Surrendering completely, I sit while they proceed to butcher the hell out of my curly hair.

Normally, my take on hair is pretty relaxed. Hey, it grows back, after all. I let it grow long, hack it off, then let it grow back, I don't really mind. Sometimes, however, the hairdressers push even me to my limits. Recently, I was in China. The day I was returning home, I had this overwhelming desire to have my hair cut. I don't know what I was thinking, but I frantically rushed to the hairdresser, plunked myself into the chair, and assumed I was in good hands. I had, after all, briefed my Chinese friend on EXACTLY how I wanted my hair cut (forgetting that a hairdresser in China probably hasn't cut the hair of many people who have curly hair...).

Anyways, I could only sit in slowly developing horror, as the young and trendy hairdresser proceeded to lop off the front of my hair, leaving me with a very obvious and discernible mullet. In tears, I raced back to the hotel, where my friend tried to comfort me "No ,really, it looks good. It's not a mullet, honest!"

Well, even mullets grow out. But when they do, they turn into even longer mullets. So I have spent the past 7 months trying to undo the mullet damage that was done to my hair. Finally, I think I have done it, but it has resulted in a clown-wig-like mop gracing the top of my head.

Wasn't I glad that I decided I just couldn't leave China without a hair cut?

Oh well. At least I can take it all in stride. And I have a pretty good sense of humour. The mullet story does make for good telling-who else can say they've accidentally acquired a mullet?

1 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger larrykim said...

curly red head mullet... hehehe

i seen a peanut stand
and heard a rubber band
i seen a needle that winked its eye
but i be done seen about everything
when i see a curly red head mullet

you gotta laugh... life is the funniest comedy of them all. too bad there are so few in the audience and soundtrack is not very good...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home