Sunday, August 15, 2004

Confidence

I like to think of myself as a confident person. But I am coming to realize that there are more kinds of confidence than one can shake a stick at... case in point:

As I have written about already, I spent 3 months living in China this past year. While a confident, independant person home in Canada, in China I became a confused, bumbling infant. When I first arrived, I had to have one of my Chinese friends with me to translate at all times. Just walking down the street, I would feel pangs of fear. "What if I get lost? What happens if someone tries to attack me? What if I get into trouble?" It was my first major trip to an extremely foreign country, and I was out of my element. It was like reverting back to childhood. Someone had to order food for me, point me in the direction of washrooms, walk with me to go buy some fruit or use the internet.

Finally, I started to regain my confidence. I began to feel comfortable in my settings, began to learn enough Chinese that I thought I could pass on my own in the city. I learned some choice phrases that I thought would help me out: "Ni che se ba (go to hell), man zou (take it easy), wo yao nyo nai (I want milk), pian zi (liar), da sha dan (big foolish egg), wo ai ni (I love you)" Only the essentials.

And finally, one day I was on my own. My roomate had headed back to the apartment, and I decided I wanted to go and use the internet. I literally strutted down the walkway, chest puffed out like a peacock, picking my way over the cracked concrete, scattered sunflower casings, and vomit stains (I had watched a drunken man vomit there the night before). I could see people passing me on bikes, wearing puffy mao-esque jackets, turning their heads to stare at the tall redhead walking alone through a back street in Northern China. Boy, did I feel confident. I began to think of my friends back home in Canada, slaving away at university. They had never done anything like this in their lives. I thought of my arrival in China, my low confidence and reliance on others. I thought of how privelidged I was to get this chance, and I felt so proud of myself for adjusting to life in a new country and culture.

As all these thoughts raced through my head, I spotted the internet cafe, and headed towards it. I could see through the shop's glass front, covered in a layer of dust and smoke, into the mass of people inside sending emails, instant messaging and playing games. I began to walk up the crooked, uneven stairs. And then I was falling, I had tripped and landed flat on my stomach in the middle of the busy afternoon, in front of a glass-fronted store.

Looking around, hoping no one saw, I picked myself up and tried to salvage what was left of my dignity. Head down, face flaming red, I hurried into the cafe, where no doubt the whole store had watched me fall.

Over-confidence? Yup, I'm prone to that too.

2 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Blogger larrykim said...

i personally have fallen on my face so often, i expect it. okay, i am going to share with you something i have learned. some people always stay in their comfort zone and that way they never look foolish. it's the people who take chances and look foolish at times, that go far in life. you can be the best in one thing and stay in that comfort zone for ever, but if you ask me unless you explore other things in life, you have not lived. you really don't know me that well, but maybe it's time i should share something real about myself.

i was born in korea. i moved to america when i was 13. i did not speak a word of english at the time. you can imagine the embarrassments i have endured, and also prejudice living in the south. my first girlfriend... her parents threatened to disown her for dating me. in any case, i went to college got masters degree in engineering. and then i spent five years of my life in united states navy as a naval officer. that also was a life changing experience. then, i have worked for nasa. i worked on medical research project for nasa. i don't have a medical background, i am an engineer. i often had to ask stupid questions to doctors that i work with. but, you know what? no one is above stupidity. these doctors asked me stupid questions (in my opinion) to me also. no one is an expert at everything. we depend on each other for certain things, but to be afraid to ask questions or do things to look stupid... that is when we have problems. with all the stupid questions i ask, and all the face planting i did, i managed to get two patents and several publications in medical journals.

there are friends that look at me in a different light. they feel that i have done so much, been in so many places, accomplished so much... if i have learned one thing through all my experience, it is this. what you have done, matters not. what you are willing to do, and if you are not afraid to fall on your face, that's what makes someone respectable and admirable, in my opinion.

there is no shame in falling on your face. there is only shame in being afraid...
no one... no one is above stupidity...
everyone... everyone falls on their face sometimes...
who you are is defined by not how you fall, but how you pick yourself back up...

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about being confident at home, but then you go outside your comfort zone and WHAM you become a totally different person! Actually though you have more of an excuse than me I just moved from Indiana to Alaska, so I do know the language. The culture, however is quite different. And believe you me falling on my face happens often to me, as the ice can be awfully slick in the winter around these parts. the worst part about here htough is there is always some gorgeous soldier laughing his butt off at you when you do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home