Friday, July 30, 2004

Writer's Block

Sometimes the most interesting things emerge from my subconscious when I have writer's block. Sitting at my desk, pen to paper, or more accurately fingers motionless on the keyboard, I am at a loss. At all times, my mind is racing-a literal whirlwind of thoughts, yet when I decide that I want to capture some of them, they all disappear. Like a shoal of fish, startled by a hunting shark, they fly off into the darkness.

And then, it begins. My fingers begin to fly, my pen begins to scratch across the paper's surface, scribing words I didn't know I had in me. And just like that, something is created out of nothing. I could make a book out of all the poems, blurbs and stories that have come out of writer's block (a short book, but a book, nonetheless..).

Some nights, like last night, I lie awake for hours writing stories and jotting down ideas in my head. They don't actually make it onto paper, just the onion-skin sheets in my mind. And I lie awake as the hours tick by, creating like a mad scientist, creating nothing, producing nothing, making nothing. I wonder if other people do this, imagine the words flying across the screen, or being scrawled on fresh paper. I wonder if other people lie awake, minds feverish with thought.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home