Monday, July 26, 2004

Boys of Summer

The Ataris-Boys of Summer. I know, I like the Don Henley version better, but the Ataris version is the one that reminds me of you. Playing every time you turned on the radio, or changed the station, it was drummed into my head as one of those songs that constantly brings back a flood of emotions. In the warm Hawaii nights, the sky mottled with blue, pink and grey, we drove in your broken old Porsche.

In Hawaii, it always feels like you are on the verge of something. The air always smells like the sea or like flowers, the nights always feel pensive. And so, it didn't occur to me that our summer would grind to a halt. Not for lack of feelings, but lack of commitment.

"A little voice Inside my head said, "Don't look back. You can never look back."I thought I knew what love wasWhat did I know?Those days are gone forever I should just let them go" And now, thinking back, the lyrics seem oddly fitting to what happened to us. Were we ever an "us"? Sometimes it feels like it was all a dream, and other times a painful reality.

Everything happens for a reason. What was the reason for this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home